Monday, July 09, 2007

The weeds aren't the only thing growing at my house


It's true! I am a professional weed grower. I have knowledge and expertise that far surpass my age that I never had to go to college for, or even trade school for that matter. I would have to say it's a very natural gift that has manifested through years and years of training (and not very hard work by the way).

I have pondered the idea of going into business for said profession as I know how good I am at it and figure why not get paid for something you are good at right? Okay, well maybe "weed growing" might not be as dignified of a profession as landscaper, but I could just think of it as a backwards landscaper - so to speak. My tag line could be "I'll help you grow it where you don't want it." Huh -what do you think?

Alright, I guess I must think realistically. I have been known to be a great cook/baker, and I have been known to be an incredible maid. I've also been known to be a fabulous nurse when boo-boo's need tending to, and a superb seamstress when that blankey that's been loved way too much on one seam needs a little tending to (and don't forget quilter extraordinaire too). Let's not forget amateur photographer for all those family occasions, and oh, oh, defensive driving master ~ when you must dig through purse to find a tissue for said child in the back who's just sneezed a green/yellow Niagara Falls all down his face while dodging cars going 60 on the freeway!

I am a MOM, a professional MOM! And there is nothing more rewarding to me (weed growing might be a close second) than being a MOM. Oh sure, I don't often (okay never) get a "thank you mom for helping me see the error in my ways and for the discipline & punishment you have granted me, that will help me become a better person." Or "thank you mom for making sure that I have clean clothes to exit the house in so I might present myself to others in a dignified way." Even a "bless you mother for cleaning up my vomit on my bed of which I was not quick enough to make it to the bathroom to dispose of it properly!" Ugggh!

BUT, yesterday was my oldest sons 15th birthday, and while I was saying good-night to him last night I asked him if he had a good day (lunch out, weight bench for present, cash from grandparents) he said to me, "yeah mom I did, and thank you so much for everything! It was great!" You see, I'm not sure how it is with girls yet, but I can say I am so far qualified as a professional mom of boys and as they grow older (emphasis on grow as they are the ones who have grown recently at my house) those "snuggle bear moments" are fewer and farther between. My 15 yr. old is 5'10", 135lb and doesn't quite fit into my lap anymore (it would be the other way around now). When he hugs me my nose isn't that far off from being in his armpit. Yet when this big young man, with a deep voice and shaven face tenderly looks me in the eye and says "thanks mom, and I love you", well I don't need to be a professional at anything else, cause I'm home!!!

Happy 15th Birthday D!!!

12 comments:

Elise said...

Ruth, I just love that post...I totally have tears in my eyes and can completely relate to watching them grow so quickly. Hailey has grown an inch since spring and now is taller then her mom:(...she is my quiet non-emotional child...so when she shows me her love and appreciation I just melt too and love being a mom to her.

By the way I just love your family photo...I take it you are all helping out with VBS.

What are your plans in August? I would love to have a BBQ here with your family and others in the area who are adopting or have adopted. What do you think?

k1 said...

What a wonderful post. Lucky boys they are, indeed.

I think you and I got the same weed growing talent!!! I have a fresh crop growing outside. You can come get them anytime to take and transplant elsewhere!!!!

Kel may be finalizing the dates that she and her husband and Katie will be here. Will let you know!

k1 said...

Ruth, your son ins only a day older than RedMaryJanes son. She did a birthday post for him today, too over at The Seventh Diamond.

Truly Blessed said...

From one professional MOM to another, your post rocked! Isn't it amazing when we get a good look at our boys and see them becoming MEN?!? And good men, at that. It makes everything absolutely worth it.

I wouldn't trade my kids for any others on the planet, and even though they're not perfect, they're worth every tear I've cried and swear word I've thought (but tried not to say out loud!) when I'm mad at one of them.

Happy birthday to your son -- what a great looking family you have!

k1 said...

Why is it that the weeds continue to grow in the hot weather while the grass just turns brown?

Can you explain that phenomena to me, 'cause I just don't get it.

k1 said...

Your post cracked me up!

k1 said...

Or, I guess I should have said, "your comment".

Either way, it made me laugh.

k1 said...

Happy Friday the 13th to you, as well.

I wonder why there aren't as many wedding scheduled for today as there were for July 7???

Lynn said...

Ha! I found you! for some reason when you posted on my blog your name didn't pull up your blog.

I love this post. I too have a garden of weeds growing in my flower beds. I have an epidemic of thistle that is growing on runners. When you pull one, fifty more shoots come out!

Love your thoughts on you son... I am finding my son's growth bittersweet. Not having any more children (yet) makes me sad to see him grow. However, I am fascinated with each step and amazed at what a wonderful young man he is shaping into.

k1 said...

Hi Ruth,

To have your blog name linked to your profile name and avatar, do the following:

Go to your blog and sign in to Blogger.

Click on Customize up on the Navbar.

Click on the Settings tab

Scroll down to the Add Blog to our listings box and put an X in it.

Save the settings.

Go back to your blog and click on Edit profile.
Go to the Show my blogs option. It should now show your blog title.

Check the box for your blog.

Save the settings.

It should be all set to go.

Check your profile again and your Blog name should be listed.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

k1 said...

Ruth, yea!! IT worked! Youg blog name shows up when I click on your name in my comments.
Yippee!

Now maybe you'll get a lot more reply comments!

Now, if I just knew who Nancy was so I could tell her how to do the same thing......

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you