Monday, November 26, 2007

Fa La La La Laaaa

'Tis the season to be festive right?

Each year I tell myself that 'this is the year I am going to get the house all spiffed up for Christmas EARLY' and yet I find myself sitting here thinking about All the work that it takes to get out the boxes from the attic, plug in the tree (before decorating) to be sure all the lights are still working on it, etc and I am already exhausted before I've begun. I think I'm becoming a 'bah-humbug' type of person. YIKES!

I remember when I was a little girl, each year (around my bday since it's two weeks before Christmas) we would pick a day and go up to the mountains to the tree farm to cut down our tree. It was always quite comical since we would all pile out of the station wagon and my brothers would begin to head off into different directions, leaving my mom, dad and me to follow - yet which direction? We would soon hear one of them shout "Hey mom, I found one over here - it's brown but I found one" and then another would shout from the opposite direction, "No pick mine over here, it's sort of a Charlie Brown looking one." It would take us a short while to find just the right tree before heading home to have hot chocolate and fresh baked christmas cookies, while Dad got the tree aired out and put into the stand for decorating. We'd then listen to christmas music while stringing the lights, delicately putting each ornament on the tree, while reminiscing about the year "that" ornament was hand made by one of us. Sort of has a 'Norman Rockwell' feel to it!

So, I guess I will sit here and 'think about how nice and fun' it would be right now to be listening to Christmas music, sipping hot cocoa, smelling the fresh evergreen fragrance of my newly lit candle (since our tree is a fake one), trimming the tree and on it goes.

I think for now I will put the tree on hold, I'm off to manage my schoolhouse!

2 comments:

Roy and Lori said...

Have a wonderful holiday season!

k1 said...

Love the tree stories, but wow, how tragically sad about your friend's niece! What an example that each and every minute we have on this earth is given by God and that we should never take our lives for granted.