Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy 3 Month Anniversary

Wow, it's been a long time since I've titled a post with the words Happy # Month Anniversary.

I remember reading blogs while I was in the "expectant wait" period of our adoption, of people saying how they couldn't remember or rather 'forgot' how long their wait really was after they received their beloved daughter and my thoughts at that point were usually, "I don't know how you could ever 'forget' how incredibly long the wait is/was."

I think I'm going to have to eat my words!

3 months ago today, 10 families gathered in a hotel conference room 6000 miles from here to share together in an experience that bonded them forever.

29 (siblings & grandma's included) strangers with only a few days beforehand to meet & greet (so to speak), sitting rather impatiently filling out necessary paperwork - lots of paperwork, trying to write carefully, working really hard to concentrate so as to not make any mistakes on their crucial official Chinese documents.

Checking and re-checking the spelling, doing whatever it takes to keep our minds occupied while we waited to hear even a whisper of news.

{ring, ring} our guide Marie's cell phone rang. I remember thinking how much I wanted to know and understand Chinese at that point as she spoke quickly and clearly. Hanging up the phone she announced "The first baby is 10 minutes away."

See, our group of 10 families were adopting babies from 5 different orphanages. 5 babies from one, 2 babies from another and the remaining 3 from individual orphanages. Tears began to well within the eyes of many parents, the thoughts of panic ran through the minds of some ~ sheer elation, fluttering butterflies ~. The mood in the room was, well hard to put into words. I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, this is it. What will she be like? What will she look like (mind you I had photos but there still is a wonder)? Will I recognize her at first glance? What if she cries? I've waited so long for this, am I really ready?" I can only imagine the thoughts of those who were going to be first time parents as this was going to be our 4th and I was having the "not sure about it" thoughts myself.

Babies arrived that day.

Couples became parents, families became whole. Dear sweet Abigail was placed into our arms a quiet, watchful, scared little girl.

Her whole world turned upside down in the matter of a few hours. 'Who are these white people? They smell different, they talk different, they look different and I'm not sure I like it. Where are my nannies? Where are my friends?' I can't even begin to imagine what must have been going through her mind. She did her best not to look us in the eye for the first few days. She worked really hard not to smile or even show us signs that she was enjoying her new family. She didn't know she 'needed' a family or even wanted one for that matter. She didn't know that hugging, kissing and cuddling were all necessary touches for her soul to grow. She didn't understand that we waited almost 3 years to bring her into our family, to bring her home to love her forever! She would learn all of this very soon! And the results of learning it...well see for yourself.

Say CHEESE!!!
(literally this is the first time ever I have gotten her to respond at all when I've said "cheese" with a camera in hand).


September 16, 2008 Dalton's first time holding Abigail (then - Abigail Day!)

Now - 3 months later, Dalton's ___?(I lost count) time holding Abigail


Curious and inquisitive she is.


Happy and well loved.

Loving her family ~ forever!

3 comments:

T n' W said...

You recaptured that day very well. I can remember my heart beating so fast every time Marie's phone would ring. It's amazing how well these little ones have ajusted in just three months. I don't really think about life before Sophie and quiet frankly, who wants to. Being a mom is more incredible than I could ever imagine. I wouldn't trade it for the world.......Look, now you've gone and got me all teary eyed right before bedtime! Night,night.

LauraM said...

Your words make me feel like I was there. Abigail is right where she is supposed to be. You have shown her what "family" is. She is so fortunate to have you and you her. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Alyson and Ford said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for writing; brought tears to my eyes!
It was a wonderful day, but also frightening and confusing when little AA screamed at us.

She is so beautiful and adorable!
Love the "cheese"!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Three Months too!