Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Week of Blessing

My dear sweet baby girl has been sick, really sick this past week with RSV (a respiratory virus that infects the lungs and breathing passages).

Now I can actually hear some of you asking "And how is that a blessing?"

I have had more mommy/daughter bonding time than anyone could ever ask for! I have hugged, rocked, held, cuddled, swaddled, sang to, swayed more hours in this past week, well than I could probably add up to since we've been home.

A week ago yesterday Abigail woke up with a mild cough that really didn't alarm any of us. It wasn't until late afternoon when she came down with a 103 degree fever that lasted all through the night and into the morning that really concerned us. Tylenol or ibuprofen had no affect what-so-ever, though we still tried. Upon waking the next morning she began what would be the longest week ever. Fevers ranging from 99 to 103 would be her norm, she was lethargic and wanted only to be held by me, she would cry at anything and everything. Cough, cough - cry, sneeze - cry, yawn - cry, Cry just because she can - cry. I say she was pathetic, but not in the patronizing way, but in the very sad way. She crackled in her chest anytime she breathed in/out. She truly was a mess.

After 3 days of no improvement, I took her to our Dr. who put her on an antibiotic - though her ears didn't look infected she suspected that maybe a slight pneumonia might be developing. 3 days on the medicine and still no marked improvement, in fact her temp that seemed to be hovering between 99-100 spiked to 102 on Saturday. So we made the decision to take her to Children's Hospital ER to have her evaluated which is where they diagnosed the RSV for us. They did x-ray her lungs just to be sure which came back clean for no pneumonia.

As I spent lots of hours in the rocking chair next to her bed, hubby said to me (about 4 days into this) "Well there is one blessing in all of this!" I of course replied, "oh really, what's that?" He returned, "At least she is here at home with HER family, HER mommy and daddy and brothers who love her so much. At least she has someone who will hold her, rock her, etc. Just imagine what it (was) would be like for her if she were this sick in the orphanage?" My heart broke just thinking about what it must have been like for her with any cold she may have had - how miserable she must have been to suffer alone! I hugged her even tighter, kissed her even more, told her how much I love her and how sorry I was that I couldn't have been there in her early months, but how incredibly blessed I am to have been here now! I let her know that it was going to be okay, that she was okay!

So, as I sit here and reflect back on my week, I wouldn't change any of it for a minute. I became more of Abigail's mommy to her and for that I am blessed.

Today, as I sat watching Abigail play in the bathtub I realized that today is January 27th, our LID. 3 years ago our paperwork officially became 'real' in China. A day that was filled with anxious anticipation month after month, year after year, but now will forever be seen as a blessing!

8 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

While reading your post, I was thinking...
Thank you Lord for placing Abigail into the hearts of this loving family and delivering Abigail into their home and into the life of each and everyone of them.

Hope you're getting more rest and Abigail is feeling fit as a fiddle!
peace
fm

k1 said...

I am so glad she is feeling better, and so glad that she has a loving family, and so glad that you got this wonderful time of showing her just exactly how much she is loved.

LauraM said...

You are the perfect mommy (mama) for Abigail. She loves you as you do her. Your family is the family she was meant to be a part of. Thanks for sharing her with us, too. We are soooo gald she is feeling better. Lots of love!

Dawn said...

What a sweet post. I am so sorry Abigail is so sick, but pray she is on the mend...what a blessing to have her home in her Mommy's arms to lovingly are for her~

deb said...

When I first saw RSV, my heart stopped. Because Jakey was early and born with lung issues, he would endure monthly shots in the winter to prevent RSV -- until he was 3. I am so glad that Abigail is doing better but how scary for you. Thankfully, you have each and God ... and Abigail has you all. Take care of yourself too, Ruth.

love,
deb

ww said...

Hope sweet Abigail is feeling much better - so glad you all have each other.

Rubber Ducky Chronicles said...

What wonderful words during such a difficult time. Praise God she is with your family and gets these cuddle times.

Glad Abigail is feeling better and I pray you are getting some rest.

Truly Blessed said...

Wow, what a wonderful blessing a sickness can be. Your hubby is a very wise man, indeed, for acknowledging that the timing of this illness is a very good thing!

And how wonderful the bonding that goes on when a child is sick...this sickness was a blessing indeed!