Monday, September 10, 2007

1st day of school...and???


Well, I am happy to report we made it through the first day of homeschool. Or rather, should I say, they made it through their first day of homeschool.

Can I just say how hard it is to know how much is too much and when is not enough! I worked really hard at having continued patience, to allow them each to have a little bit of space so as to not freak out completely since they are coming from at least 9+ years of public school experiences. DETOX is the common word I hear from experienced mom's. And no that's not for me but rather for the kids. Allow them time to come down from "whatever experiences have shaped/molded their ideas/opinions" about what school is.

Okay, so with that said, I felt like I totally ran around in circles constantly remembering what I forgot, or maybe it was what I didn't remember to forget, or was it what I forgot to forget? Oh my word. I would get one settled into a subject and move onto the next one only to remember something I forgot to tell the first one about the lesson and so on and so on. Calgon... where are you when I need you. Well for goodness sake, what was I really thinking it was going to be like after all???

Oh and wait, here is the clincher! After all their work was completed, we headed out to pick up a friend and go to where her horse was boarded for some riding. While I was waiting to pull out onto the highway I hear CRUNCH ~ you guessed it, I was hit from behind by a ginormous FORD F350 truck whose bumper was as tall as I am. Injury?? None emergent. Though a few days will tell, but we weren't moving so hopefully no. Damage?? YES - crunched the right side of my back hatch to my Caravan and now I cannot even get it open, crunched it completely shut! As if I needed this. I think I was already mentally exhausted from the morning, but now I get to be soulfully tired from the "I can't believe what just happened to me". I didn't know whether to cry or scream, laugh or get angry.

And yet, I remembered what I had read earlier this morning about how much God wants to be a part of every moment of my life and how this situation wasn't excluded from that. I just cried out in prayer, thanking him that myself and my 4 other passengers weren't injured. I surrendered my crunched up back end and all that's involved in fixing it (hopefully not an insurance company nightmare) and I willingly asked God what it was that He was wanting to teach me/us through this whole process. It truly was all I could (can) do.

So, for now, I will tuck my children into bed, pray for a great nights' sleep and wake tomorrow with a new day!

4 comments:

Truly Blessed said...

Things will get better with the schooling thing. Hundreds of thousands of parents do it, so it can't be all bad, eh?

So sorry about your car. I think you have a great attitude and know God will teach you some great things as a result of your obedience!

Michelle said...

Hi! I also have the book, Fields of the Fatherless. It was written by a guy that is affiliated with Children's Hope Chest, the organization we went on our first russian mission trip with, when we met our son.
Blessings!

Elise said...

Ooooh, that sounds tough. Homeschooling is hardest in the beginning but it gets better. I will be praying that the car fix will be smooth and painless.

email me and we can get together when you are not too busy teaching or you just need a break...

furelisedesigns@hotmail.com

k1 said...

I'll be praying that none of you feel the effects of whiplash tomorrow. I know from experience that it isn't fun.

Now that you have the first week of school under your belt, it will get easier. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Sorry about the van.