Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Knight in Shining Armor for 18 years

Indeed you really are looking at my 'knight' in shining armor!

You see, I was blessed with an incredibly romantic man who planned and orchestrated a magnificent proposal. He proposed to me in a suit of armor at a park near his house. Yes, we'd talked about marriage, but the conversation was always after college. The day was a Sunday, November 13, 1988 to be exact, and I had seen him that morning at church. He was planning to go to a Seahawks game with his dad that afternoon and my plan was to visit with a girlfriend before choir practice that night.

After I got home from church I called my friend to ask her if we could schedule our visit another day cause I was so tired. She said yes, of course but panicked and called B to ask him what to do. See it was her job to get me to the exact location at the exact moment. He told her to call me back and tell me it was marital problems and I wouldn't say no (boy he knew me well even back then). So I come downstairs to wait for her in my jeans, sweatshirt, tennis shoes and jean jacket. My mother looks at me and says "Are you going to wear THAT?" She knew about my adventure since B already came and asked permission a week before. I told her I was and she quickly backed off to avoid suspicion. So friend arrives and we're off to a park in Bellevue. I decided not to ask her where we were going but just to let her talk, afterall she's the one with the marital issues right? HA. We get out of the car and walk toward this big pond. As we are walking around the perimeter of said pond, out of the corner of my eye I see this guy walking toward us in a suit of armor. It sound like this: "clang, clang, clang, clang." Red velvet pillow and all. I truly did not think anything of it cause there were always plays, vignettes going on in the park.

I slowly began to notice that my friend wasn't really that close to me anymore and this guy was walking right for me. Do you think I had a clue - DUH NO! He got about 5 feet away and took off the helmut but all I could see was the chainmesh around his nose, mouth, eyes. I instantly recognized his mustache but it still didn't phase me what was happening.
I said "Hey what are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be at the Seahawks game?" Again DUH! He proceeded to get on one knee and asked if I would marry him?

Now this is the part where the girl jumps up and down and screams so everyone can hear with tears streaming down her face right? No joke, I said "What? I don't understand what you are doing here?" CAUTION, men don't usually want to ask twice!
So he said it again a little differently so that maybe this time I would understand.
"I want to know if you will be my wife?" Okay so insert jumping, screaming, crying right? NOPE. I walk backwards into bushes in shock. Okay so took me a few seconds to realize what was going on and I ran forward wrapping my arms around him - nearly knocking him over and said
"I guess so"!
Psych. I said yes about a billion times. Of course now, out of the bushes comes family, friends who were talking photos/video of the whole ordeal. We even made it on the cover of the Eastside paper only the newspaper got B's last name incorrect. The reprint was a few days later on the last page in really tiny letters. Aww my claim to fame.

So, we decided to rent the suit of armor again for the wedding and beforehand had pictures of us taken together and then had a friend wear it for the ceremony to deliver our rings. Very cute I must say!

And so 18 years later here we are - 3 boys, waiting for our daughter later and more in love today than the day we pledged our love for one another.

So to My Love ~ I give you my heart! My love is and always will be forever yours. Thank you for saying YES to God's call so many years ago.
You are the greatest Man I have ever known! I love you.

6 comments:

k1 said...

What a great story!

Congratulations on the first 18 years. May the second and third rounds be even better!

k1 said...

Truly Blessed said...

Brian & Ruth,

HAPPY 18th ANNIVERSARY!!! Congratulations to you both on making the daily decision to work at your marriage!

We'll be celebrating our 18th next month (so I know what I'm talking about!).

9:19 AM

jennifer said...

That's a great story. Too funny that you were more confused that he was there instead of why he was wearing that gettup! Congratulations on 18 years!!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I appreciate it.

Elise said...

That is the best proposal I have ever heard....I just read it again so my daughters could hear. What an amazing man and I am so happy that you are more in love today then ever! I have heard of three marriage breakups this week of people I know so it is so refreshing to hear your story of continued love and growth. Congratulations to a great couple!

I just heard this morning about the Hettinga's new son. I am so thrilled for them. I was able to see her during 2nd service and she shared the story of the referral and pictures. Seeing it happen for them gives me hope too since they have been waiting a very long time also. Pray for a quick TA for them so they don't need to be apart for him for very much longer.

Do you want to meet next week for coffee? I am really open for the next two weeks while the kiddos are in school. Then at the end of September my vactation ends and it is back to the books for me too:)

cougchick said...

that is a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on 18 years.

Michelle said...

How wonderful! Congratulations on your anniversary!

Michelle