Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Happy August

Happy August 1st, 2007
Did you know August's flower is the gladiolus or poppy?


And did you know, August was originally named Sextilis in Latin, because it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar, which started in March about 750 BC under Romulus.

According to the legend, the city of Rome was founded by twins Romulus & Remus. Their father was Mars, the god of war and their mother a Latin princess. The Latin King took the infants and put them in a basket. He abandoned them on the banks of the Tiber River (sounds very similar to another favorite story of baby Moses abandoned in a basket :-). The King was afraid that the twins might try to take his throne, so he left them to die.
A female wolf found the twins and fed them her own milk. Finally some shepherds rescued the twins and raised them as their own children. After growing up the boys decided to build a city in the place where they had been born. Each brother decided to rule one part of the city. They each chose a hill from which to rule the new city.
One day Romulus and Remus got into a terrible fight. Remus was angry because his brother got a larger part of the city to rule. Romulus killed Remus in this quarrel (again sounds very similar to Cain and Abel). This left Romulus's hilltop called Palatine the center of the new city. The city was name Rome after Romulus.
I bet you didn't know it's National Immunization Month either!


And of course I can't help myself, did you know you only have 145 shopping days left until Christmas 2007?

There, I did it. I did an entire post without mentioning or talking about adoption!

Wait a minute, what am I thinking! Isn't that what this blog is all about anyways, the reason I created it for loved ones and friends to keep up on all the juicy details?
Fact, there are no juicy details!
Fact, there is no current update/news- just speculation and rumors!
Fact, we have been waiting 18months to receive a referral!
Fact, we are STILL waiting...
Fact, I have good days and bad days
Fact, yes, it is rather depressing to wait this long
Fact, I am not in this 'wait' alone!

Thanks to all our family/friends who are very supportive of us during this difficult time.

3 comments:

k1 said...

Ruth, when I first "met" you, we were hoping and praying for a June referral. Then a July, then an August at the latest.

So, here it is, August, and God has continually said, "Not yet". All we can do is be glad that He hasn't said "NO!", and be glad that in His time, and His alone, you will receive your daughter.

In the meantime, look at all the cyber friends you are making and the support group you are creating!

I'm still praying for a speed up.

Ruth and Brian said...

Indeed K1 - you are correct, HE hasn't said 'No' (though there are times when I have questioned it) and indeed it WILL happen in the right time. And yes, I have made some very dear cyber friends along the way who have been and are more than supportive too!

I too am praying for a speed up. I figure if things stay with 7 day referral batches, the soonest I'd see a referral is April 2008, with travel maybe in June?? Do you know when the Olympics are in Beijing? I never imagined in my wildest dreams when there was so much talk about the 2008 Olympics that it would ever effect or have anything to do with us. Who would have thunk!!!

Elise said...

Maybe hopeful thinking(I guess this week on a postive trend of thinking) but after we get through November's referrals I think we will see a speed up....it will be very soon for you, you guys are so close now!!!!